What is a Counselor in Training?
RARA has a Counselor in Training (CIT) Program throughout the summer for volunteers entering 8th grade or older who are interested in learning the employment side of camp. CIT's volunteer their time to help out at RARA Summer Day Camps. The goals of this program are to delevop enthusiatic, motivational, and responsible leaders who will interact with teens, children, and adults to create meaningful relationships. CIT's will gain leadership, self-confidence, develop self-esteem, create a strong work ethic, gain marketable skills, and enjoy recreational activities. They are introduced to what future employment opportunities might look like. They are role models for children and teens in RARA Summer Day Camps and promote participation and teamwork while maintaining a high level of professionalism.
CIT's must be entering 8th grade or higher by the upcoming fall and should have some experience working with children. RARA is looking for individuals who possess leadership qualities, are enthusiastic, and motivated. CIT's must have a sincere passion for working with children and adults.
- Each volunteer will be responsible for assisting with setting and cleaning up all activities and participating in all camp activities, games, crafts, swim time, etc.
- Interact with campers and fellow workers
- Maintain communication with camp counselors and directors
- Project a positive attitude
- Cooperate with fellow employees and volunteers
All interested volunteers will fill out an application, interview, and be scheduled for a minimum of one week of work.
How to be a CIT:
- Complete the Counselor-In-Training Online Application (CIT Application) at the RARA website.
- Once you have submitted your online application, CIT's will be contacted to schedule an interview (interviews will be scheduled on select days in late May)
- Have a parent or guardian fill out the volunteer medical form (CIT Medical Form) and bring it to your interview.
- Attend the Counselor-In-Training Orientation (if you are chosen to be a CIT)
- Pay the $10 CIT Fee (includes staff shirt)